[Amps] ICOM 756 PRO II or FT 1000 MP Field or Mk 5 ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] ICOM 756 PRO II or FT 1000 MP Field or Mk 5 ?
From: dhb@attbi.com (Dave, AA6YQ)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 19:42:33 -0500
I have used a MarkV for DXing over the past two years. While I have never
failed to make a contact due to the MarkV, I would characterize it as having
serious ergonomic limitations:

1. there are several different RX bandwidth controls, but they are spread
almost haphazardly across the front panel

2. despite this profusion of front panel RX bandwidth controls, access to
the transceiver's full RX bandwidth capabilities requires  PC-hosted softare

3. the RF power control's knob is quite small, particularly for a
transceiver of this size and class; there's room for fitting a somewhat
larger knob.

4. when operating in RTTY mode with dual receive, there is no line-level AF
output connector carrying mixed output from both main and sub receivers; you
can remedy this with an external cable.

>From a useability perspective, I find the MarkV is a noticeable step down
from an Icom 775 or 781. The 756 family uses a smaller form factor and
attendent small knobs for several functions including RF power, but overall
still feels easier to use than the MarkV. If useability is an important
criterion, you might wait to see what Icom releases as a 775 replacement.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ