[Amps] use of load resistors for HV

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] use of load resistors for HV
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 11:15:11 -0700
I haven't tried them, because they are even more difficult to come by
here. However, Bird and Altronics both make the thin film on ceramic
for their RF loads, and the ratings for CW, average are nearly same
as peak. In other words, they are incapable of handling very high
voltages, much more than what is seen with P=E^2/R with CW RF power.
Maybe for a one time transient they would work though. What I have
heard from Altronics engineers is that we cannot run typical 4 x or
10 x the average rating with short peaks that are repetitive, such as
one might get with a Ohmweve resistive element (toaster looking
thing) or Globar resistor.

Happy Holiday, signing off until Jan 1 (unless I get on a PC at my sisters)
73
John
K5PRO