[Amps] (no subject)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] (no subject)
From: K8ZE@comcast.net (Mike Switzer)
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:12:15 -0500

I need some opinions from you experts.  I have been modifying a Drake
L7.  I have replaced the HV caps, removed old diodes/xistors and
installed meter protection diodes per Mr. Measures's instructions.
Before I went any further I decided to put some hours on the mods.  I
also ordered and received new 3-500s.  I wanted to test it out before
putting the new tubes in place.  I had removed the parasitic suppressors
and then removed and measured the resistors to see if there had been any
change, there had not been any change.  I put old tubes in place and put
the parasitic suppressors on, sans xistors.  I just wanted to light it
up for a moment and watch for smoke.  No smoke but holly runaway
oscillator Batman.  I had my finger on the AC line safety switch and
released it before the plate meter movement was destroyed.  Seriously,
the plate meter began to climb rapidly so I removed power.  I repeated
this 2 more times, at different plate and tune positions as well as
different band selection(thinking the plate choke and found a freq it
liked), switching the power off at about 800 mills.  I replaced the
xistors (in the parasitic suppressors) and all looked OK, no more
runaway.  I never detected anything smoking or overheating.   It looked
stable so I decided to install the new tubes.  I did so and then let
them burn in/stabilize what ever, for 4 hrs.  I removed the new tubes
and installed the old tubes for a test.  Everything appeared to work as
before, in other words OK.  I tried the unit on different frequencies so
confirm proper operation.  When I went to 21 mc the plate refused to
dip.  So I then tried it on frequencies it worked on previously and now
there was no dip there either.  I didn't hear or see anything to
indicate a part had faulted.  I have ordered some caps to replace the
original DC plate blocking caps.  Because when I drive the unit I get
plenty of plate current and grid current but VERY low output.

2 questions

1.      Am I on the right track here????
2.      As I remember from past experiences building amps (20+yrs ago)
the value of the dc blocking caps did not influence the tank circuit.
Read here: Can't find the same value caps so I am substituting a
reasonable value (according to me anyway and I am omnipotent I hope you
realize).

Mike k8ze

K8ze@comcast.net

multipart/alternative