[Amps] Alpha 87A reliability problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 87A reliability problem
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 17:07:18 -0500
At 03:25 PM 1/2/03 -0600, W0UN--John Brosnahan wrote:

>>We don't get much static buildup here in the Northeast, so I don't think
>>that would have been the cause. I have Polyphaser suppressors on every
>>cable, but don't know if they would shunt a static discharge. Anybody know?
>
>I am not sure about the Polyphaser units.  But just stick an ohmmeter
>on both SO-239s and look for a short on one side and put that towards
>the antenna.
>
>I know the ICE ones DO show a short circuit on one side and that ICE
>has a patent on some of the static discharge feature.

The Polyphasers don't have any DC short to ground, so your static would
have to build high enough to fire the gas tube.

My old Heathkit antenna switch uses high-value resistors -- I think 1.5 meg
-- to bleed static to ground.  Couldn't the same be done in parallel with
the protective RF choke at the output of an amp -- or better yet, in the
relay or junction box at the base of the tower, in lieu of an RF choke.

73, Pete N4ZR
Happy Holidays