[Amps] Thunderbolt Linear amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Thunderbolt Linear amp
From: wlfuqu00@uky.edu (Bill Fuqua)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:23:56 -0500
        Has any of you tried some easy improvements to the old Johnson
Thunderbolt?
I just got a parts unit that I plan on restoring but I may not make it
original. One thing that
strikes me is the low plate voltage and the small diameter wire on the
roller inductor.
  I suspect the output component ratings voltage and current may be a
limiting factor.
        A full wave bridge rectifier would be an easy way to increase plate
voltage,
if bypass and plate tuning capacitors allow. However many of these old
transformers do not like
having their center tap  floating at high potentials.

73
Bill wa4lav