[Amps] RE: Problems with Heath SB-220

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RE: Problems with Heath SB-220
From: dhearn at ix.netcom.com (Dan)
Date: Wed Jan 22 17:08:08 2003
Hi Julio: A friend KD7OY just had exactly the same problem. We found that
the relay contacts which short the  amp T/R line were welded
together.holding the amp in the xmit mode even when he switched the
transceiver to receive. It is possible that the relay in your 930 is welded
shut. Pull the cable plugged into the back of the 930 and I bet the received
signal will be normal. It is very sad that many linear internal bypass
relays use voltage and current which overload the puny relay contacts in the
transceivers, particularly when there is a capacitor across the relay line.
It is very wise to use a power transister to pull the linear relay to gnd
operated by the transceiver. Harbach Electronics sells a suitable small
board for about $20 with an optical coupler and pwr xstr to do the job. I
described a circuit to do this earlier today in an amps post and Measures
has a similar circuit on his web page. If the relay is stuck shut, you may
be able to find a +12v on xmit signal somewhere on the back of the 930 to
operated the power xstr. 73, Dan, N5AR