[Amps] Standard Pole Transformers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Standard Pole Transformers
From: wlfuqu00 at uky.edu (Bill Fuqua)
Date: Mon Jan 27 11:56:05 2003
         These pole transformers are often replaced when upgrading a
neighborhoods electrical
distribution system. In the 60's and 70's they were very often available
due to the
fact that many homes started using air conditioning. The home owners had to
upgrade from
100 amp service to 200 or more to accommodate the power requirements of the
air conditioning.
Also, the utility companies had to replace the pole transformers and drops
to the homes with
new larger capacity ones. So lots of them were available. Now you find them
mostly at ham
fest and silent key sales. But there are still neighborhoods that are
requiring more energy due
to the fact that in some areas that have cheap electricity it is more
economical to use heat pumps than gas.
     Naturally the primary becomes the secondary and vice versa for a HV
transformer.
73
Bill wa4lav