[Amps] AL-80A troubleshooting

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-80A troubleshooting
From: w8nw at richnet.net (Dennis A. Homerick)
Date: Mon Feb 3 14:37:09 2003
Kent:
    If you can find a replacement bandswitch with SHORTING contacts I
would think your problems would be solved. I experienced some bandswitch
  arcing (Radio Switch #86) on my 8877 amp.
     I operated my amp on 160 - 20m, didn't even have a 15 or 10 m band
switch tap until I wanted to work the P5. My old 3-500Z's were not doing
the job with the big pile-ups. So I added the 15m tap. It was then and
only then that I experienced bandswitch arc.  I added a short jumper
with alligator clips from the 80m to 20m taps and eliminated the
problem. Of course the jumper comes off and I'm back on 160 through 20m.
One of these days I'll spend the big bucks and add a shorting model 86
and permanently fix the problem.

Dennis, w8nw