[Amps] Voodoo Magnetic Fields

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Voodoo Magnetic Fields
From: MorgusMagnificen at aol.com (MorgusMagnificen@aol.com)
Date: Fri Feb 7 19:19:27 2003
Let's calculate (not speculate) on the (Lorenz)force acting on a welding
cable  laying at ground 0, and one-meter long, carrying a current of 1000A.,
due to its interaction with the geomagnetic field, which we will assume to be
vertical and of magnitude B=1Gauss (good estimates - just ask your friendly
geophysicist). Of course, we all recall that the formula for the force on a
straight conductor in a  B-field  is:

                  F=BxLxI       (MKS units)

Using MKS units: F=.00001 x 1 x 1000=.01N.=.0022Lbs=.032Oz.
Should really shake up that 4/0!  Remember  - this is the total force on
1METER of cable, with 1000AMPS flowing.

Eric von Valtier  K8LV