[Amps] Cheap 1500 Watt Amps?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Cheap 1500 Watt Amps?
From: W4EF at dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Fri Feb 14 12:02:13 2003
Dan,

I would suggest you talk to Stan, K5GO. I
think he is using Drake L-4B's with homebrew
power supplies. Myself I have a couple of
Drake L-7's here which can be found pretty
cheap on Ebay, but they won't quite do 1500W
with the stock power supply (1200-1300W). You
might consider a hybrid approach along the
lines of what Pete, N4ZR suggested. Drake
L-4B's and an L-7 (for 160 meters) in concert
with a big homebrew supply ala W3LPL. The
Drake's are already setup for external
supplies, so you wouldn't need to modify the
RF decks at all (the L-7 and the L-4B use the
same external supply). You could keep the
light duty external supplies as backup's or
sell them on Ebay to fund the homebrew supply.

BTW, it may be possible to raise the anode
voltage on the Drake's up from 2500V to
increase the output capability, but this may
entail chaning from zero-bias to some kind of
zener regulator. There may also be issues
related to the ratings of the tank components.
Check with Stan, K5GO as I think he raised
the anode voltage on the L-4B significantly
and has had good results.

If you can afford the Alpha 76PA's that
is also a good choice.