[Amps] Accuracy of computer aided designs (or) garbage in = garbageout

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Accuracy of computer aided designs (or) garbage in = garbageout
From: Dennis12Amplify at aol.com (Dennis12Amplify@aol.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 11:35:09 2003
 Back in the early 70's I went to the Consumer Electronics show in Chicago,
and there was a high end musical instrument amplifier manufacturer handing
out bumper stickers that said:

E = MC^2 (+ or - 3DB)

I Still have mine, and have moved it from job to job with me ever since!

 I have also worked with SPICE models and was shocked when I discovered that
the models we were using considered diodes to be either on or off, like a
SPST switch, with no barrier potentials to be overcome or any internal
impedance whatsoever!

 Any models I did find that actually took any barrier potentials into account
used 0.7VDC as the absolute barrier regardless of temperature and still used
the switch type of analysis where it was either fully on or fully off with no
forward resistance or reverse leakage, and never considered different barrier
potentials for Germanium or Schottky devices. I shudder to think of how spice
would handle a Tunnel Diode!

 Of course that was a few years ago, and I'm sure everyone will tell me those
parametrics are all accounted for in the models they use now!

 Go ahead and fire away with your criticisms; I just put up my spice model of
a blast shield that is impervious to anything as long as no one pulls the
plug on my computer, or any of my ceramic tiles fall off, or my craft rolls
over to it's unshielded side and vaporizes because no one ever considered
more than a minimum amount of attitude adjustment would ever be necessary
when they built those computer models.

Regards,
Dennis O.