[Amps] 3-500Z Pin Desoldering

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 3-500Z Pin Desoldering
From: kb9cry at attbi.com (kb9cry@attbi.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 09:33:19 2003
Some folks have suggested that a cause of the loss of pin solder is from not
oiling the cooling fan.  I agree with that but if you determine that the fan is
rotating properly, I have another cause to investigate.  I used to have the
same problem (SB-220 amp) and found the following problem:  The tube socket's
spring clips had become weak and were not holding tight onto the tube pins.
Take out the tube and look at the bottom of the tube socket.  Are the ends of
the socket clips close together?  Do you see discoloration in the spring
clips.  If the answer is yes, then replace the clips with new ones (from
another new socket) and you'll be in business.  I did this to my problem a year
ago and no more desoldering problems.  Gd luck, Phil  KB9CRY