[Amps] leds

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] leds
From: Bnovy1 at aol.com (Bnovy1@aol.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 00:15:36 2003
Hi Carl,

For singles and small quantities, I suggest you check eBay.  There are quite
a few sellers of these "super ultra high brightness" leds on eBay selling in
quantities from one to one hundred.  Check the prices with traditional
suppliers first and then make your comparison.

I do not know if you are familiar with these high brightness LEDs or not.  Be
cautious in your expectations and the applications.  They are really bright,
so bright as to make them unsuitable for "traditional" panel indicators.  I
have some that put out 900mcd, which is bright but nowhere near the super
high brightness class, which put out from 4,000 to 6,000 mcd.  I used them to
build a large digit digital clock, where the digits are 3 1/2 inches high.
When I got through with it, it was so bright, it could be seen with great
ease from 150 feet away!!  I ended up choking them down with resistors so
only a few milliamperes of current passed through the segments.  Had I used
the "superbrights", I do not think I could have choked them down enough
without them cutting out!

If you are using them for great distance visibility or something like that,
they would be great.  Otherwise, I suggest you rethink!!

Good luck,
Bernie
WB5HBM