[Amps] IM big amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] IM big amps
From: RFlabnotes at aol.com (RFlabnotes@aol.com)
Date: Tue Mar 4 10:00:24 2003
I am puzzled by your comment about the best radio/amp combos are those
requiring 100%......... As stated, the comment's intent is not clear, so how
about first clearing that up? It could mean simply "lower gain amplifiers",
or it could mean keeping the driver level high enough to saturate the amp? Or
what? Please clarify.

Also, you seem to be seriously concerned about ALC overshoot. I am not (not
now, anyway) objecting to that. What I would like to know is if you plan on
opening up the very troublesome and tricky (but, admittedly, relevant) issue
of TIM. This occurred in the audio engineering business 30 years and never
led to any good. Not because it is a bogus idea, but because it is so
difficult to deal with. As you have seen here, the (ham) world is still
struggling with steady-state IM so the thought of a foray into TIM  land is
daunting. As I am sure you know, the very basic idea of making measurments of
TIM is both difficult and controversial.

On the other hand, a quasi-static view is a practical approach, and may
actually offer some payoff. Designing loop response and dynamics is a very
highly perfected art and maybe it is relevant to take a closer look at the
primitive loops that have been used pretty much universally. More advanced
loops can be designed, and the loops can become adaptive, then predictive

Enough for now.

73
Eric von Valtier K8LV

73