[Amps] Henry 3k classic X MkII

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Henry 3k classic X MkII
From: ke4zhn at earthlink.net (Rich Borgioli)
Date: Wed Mar 5 04:55:33 2003
 Hello all,
I have a couple of questions regarding the Henry 3k Classic X MKII
amplifier. As most of you are aware, this amplifier uses a single 3CX1200A7
tube in the RF deck. My question is, How difficult is it to convert this amp
into the 5k dual tube version? Does anyone know if the stock filament
transformer is up to lighting both tubes? Filament requirements are 7.5
volts at 21 amps per tube, so this is quite a bit of current to light the
tubes. I know the B+ supply is certainly up to the task, this beast has an
enormous power supply easily capable of supporting 2 tubes. Other than the
obvious things such as mounting the extra socket, wiring up the tubes in
parallel and connecting the extra anode lead and parasitic suppresor, is
there any other mods required to make this conversion? I of course would
fully expect to have to adjust the idle current, and retune the input coils
due to the extra tube. I also learned of others having trouble with the
factory filament choke in the 5k versions of this amp. Something on the
order of the choke being wound improperly right from the factory, and
causing a hum in transmit. The amp presently has no hum issue with a single
tube, but can I expect this if I add another? Henry of course doesnt care to
be bothered with any questions unless your waving hundred dollar bills in
their faces, so thats the reason for this post. Any light that can be shed
on this would be much appreciated.