[Amps] Alpha 86

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 86
From: vic at rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Wed Mar 5 18:32:58 2003
dj2001@mn.rr.com wrote:

> What is a corona washer?  Do I need or want one on my AL80A bandswitch?

It's just a smoothed brass washer about 3/16" in diameter that is slipped over
the lead and the terminals of the switch contact before soldering.  The point is
to reduce the voltage gradient at that point by spreading the charge over a
larger area.  It's explained at <http://www.w8ji.com/switch_installation.htm>

The AL80 series is very similar to the Heathkit SB-1000 that I had.  I don't
know if Ameritron used a washer, or if the particular parts used or circuit
arrangement is such that the problem doesn't occur.

73
Vic K2VCO