[Amps] Arcing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Arcing
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu Mar 6 10:10:17 2003
> >Thanks, I like to learn something new each day and I have.
> >
> **  If one learns that 2800v produces a corona that can jump across a
> 5000v air gap, has one learned good science?  Does the corona washer (not
> the bottle-type) perform as advertised?  See Figures 15 and 21 on my Web
> site.

Almost everyone who knows anything in any depth about electronics and
electric fields understands that sharp points and protrusions greatly
increase voltage gradient, and reduce voltage breakdown between two points.

If you don't understand the physics behind that commonly understood
principle, I'd suggest some basic physics textbooks that cover
electrostatics.

This is a key reason why, once an air or vacuum capacitor arcs enough to
slight burr or sharpen a plate, the next arc is easier. This is why
capacitor plates are polished, and why HV connections (even 2-3kV) sizzle
when a sharp lead protrudes. It is also why we change sparkplugs in race
cars when the electrodes become slightly rounded from wear.

If you don't understand how tank voltages can exceed the supply voltage by a
considerable margin, and are actually limited only by power absorbed by
components or voltage breakdown of components, you might look into systems
like switching supplies, flyback transformer operation, or even automotive
ignition systems.

Many people think, for example, the peak ignition voltage in an ignition
system is set by the turns ratio in the ignition coil. That isn't true at
all, the peak voltage is many times the actual turns ratio would produce.
Remove the capacitor in an old-style ignition, and watch the voltage drop!

Tank circuits are no different when operated under light loads or no load
conditions. See:

http://www.w8ji.com/demonstation.htm