[Amps] Believe it or not... re: REPEATER RANGE CALCULATOR

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Believe it or not... re: REPEATER RANGE CALCULATOR
From: sm0aom at telia.com (Karl-Arne Markström)
Date: Fri Mar 7 01:14:44 2003
Hi all,

If you haven't seen an analog computer before, now you have...
First time, however, that I have seen one packaged in a VTVM case.

Usually analog computers were big racks of operational amplifiers (early ones
vacuum tube)
connected via myriads of patch cords and scaling potentiometers, and delivering
their output to
an X-Y recorder or a storage oscilloscope.

Before the advent of high-performance numerical models and processing, they
were quite commonly used
for solving problems in i.a. servo control systems, mechanical stress analysis
and fluid dynamics.

This particular one solves only one steady-state predefined equation, and could
be described as an electronic
version of the slide rule.

73/

Karl-Arne Markstrom