[Amps] SB-220 cap arc and the local broadcast station

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 cap arc and the local broadcast station
From: n4zr at contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun Mar 9 12:59:46 2003
At 09:23 AM 3/9/03 -0800, Skipp
  wrote:
>Turned out to be the Cap as mentioned below. I
>found out by asking on Amps that Heath had
>changed the cap to a higher V rated unit. Speculation
>by some that the cap change was done to deal with
>the yet undiscovered parasitic issue.

I think I've been told that when Heath switched to the higher voltage tune
capacitor, they only succeeded in moving the arcing issue to the
bandswitch.  I think I'd rather arc the tuning cap occasionally.  Mine
never arcs unless I have screwed up somewhere.

One of the big imponderables in Heath amps, it seems to me, is how well
they were built in the first place.  I was lucky, and the guy who built
mine seems to have known what he was doing -- the workmanship is first-class.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 23 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm