[Amps] SB-1000 Transformer & Problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SB-1000 Transformer & Problem
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon Mar 10 14:41:00 2003
> I've got a question.  I acquired a SB-1000 that has a Heathkit
> transformer with the part number of 54-1063.  The manual lists the part
> number required as 54-1061.  Is there any difference?  Also, I've

When the SB1000 was produced, some changes were made from the original
design.

The original transformers were bought from Schumacher, and were better
transformers. Later transformers had a tendency to short from the HV
secondary to various other points in the transformer. You may, if all
components test good, have a bad transformer. The AL80B transformer will fit
with some work.

If you are comfortable and safe working with HV and know how to avoid
getting your hands on HV, I'd try the light-bulb test where line fuses are
replaced with 100w 120v bulbs. Remove the tube and turn the amp on.

If the bulbs go full brilliance, remove the HV wires. See if the fault
clears. If it clears, ground the HV leads to the chassis one at a time, and
see if the fault comes back.

Be SURE you have the chassis grounded to the safety ground of the mains and
you know what you are doing every step of the way. Otherwise forget this and
use a high-pot tester.

73 Tom