[Amps] Parasitic Oscillations in RF Amplifiers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Parasitic Oscillations in RF Amplifiers
From: k7fm at teleport.com (k7fm)
Date: Wed Mar 12 09:38:03 2003
Tom said:

"Any very simple diagnosis or theory, even if wrong, makes many people
comfortable and satisfies them. This makes it appear that anyone with an
antalytical approach is just "causing problems" except to other who think
the same way. It's a lot like arguing religion.

I like to look at the positive side. I could buy measurement equipment and
textbooks cheap, because few would have any use for them."

An example of this is one of my vehicles - an Isuzu Trooper.  About 10 years
ago, Consumer Reports came out with a devastating report on the Isuzu
Trooper.  In short, they were unsafe because they rolled easily.  Their
conclusion was that if you were stupid enough to drive one, it would
probably turn you into a paraplegic, if you were lucky enough to escape
death. There was even a "conspiracy" theory - meaning Isuzu had covered up
the fact that a lot of people had died because of their "defective" design.
The bottom dropped out on them.  New, they were almost given away.  Used,
they were a real bargain.

I needed a 4 wheel drive vehicle for Search and Rescue.  I looked at the
Trooper.  It was well built and simple.  I drove it and began to analyze
what I had read and what I tested.  My conclusion was that the vehicle was
elegantly simple.  It had a high center of gravity and was a softer ride
than competitors.  It was also short coupled.  This meant that it would have
to roll easier.  But, it was perfect for what I needed it for.  The design
would necessarily mean that it would not handle like a sports car.  But, I
did not need to do that with it.  I purchased one - cheap.  It has worked
perfectly for my use.  I have 170,000 miles on it and it is still going
strong.  I have avoided the urge to lock my steering wheel into a tight turn
at highway speeds.  I even have allowed my wife to drive it, even though she
does not have a pilots license and has never rolled airplanes (I have).  It
is still very tight and nothing has fallen off, unlike some other vehicles
of the same vintage.

The point is, by thinking for myself, I was able to save thousands of
dollars.  The same applies to amplifiers.  There is an advantage to be able
to think for yourself.  You may come up with the same conclusion as the
"expert".  But, you might not.

I wonder if anyone sold their special modification kit to "improve" the
Trooper?  If there had, there probably be a following of drivers who would
insist that modifying the Trooper with those modifications was essential, or
you would kill yourself backing out your driveway.

73,  Colin  K7FM.

---