[Amps] Mailing list for parasitic osciallations.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
From: davek at medphys.ucl.ac.uk (Dr. David Kirkby)
Date: Fri Mar 14 09:59:00 2003
rlm wrote:

> How about a separate mailing list for power supplies where only amplifier
> power supply discussions are allowed -- and all other topics are verboten?

If *very detailed* discussion of power supply design, was repeatedly
discussed by a *small group* of individuals and formed such a *huge*
part of the mailing list, there would definitely be an excellent
argument for a 'hv-power-supply' mailing list. But at this moment it is
an issue that:

a) Affects a lot of people - i.e. is of general interest.
b) A large number of different people contribute to PSU design
discussions. I have myself on a couple of occasions.
c) The technical arguments are not that difficult to follow by the
average person.
d) The same arguments don't keep being put forward.
e) It is not like religion, where you are unlikely to convince a person
believing in X that X is rubbish and they should accept Y.

I'm not suggesting an 'hv-power-supply' mailing list should not be
considered - it is perhaps not such a bad idea. It is perhaps the most
obvious split, as 'amps' is a large mailing list which I do feel needs
splitting up.

The reasons for my suggestion of a parasitic-osciallations mailing list
is:

a) The number of people contributing to the discussion seems quite
small. Although I have not collected any statistics on it, I would guess
95% of the posts are contributed by less a dozen individuals.
b) The first point (a) implies it is not of a wide interest.
c) The discussions gets so detailed that few can follow them.
d) There are a large number of posts on the subject.
e) It is like religion. A person believing in X is most unlikely to be
persuaded to believe in Y.

Clearly if e-mail would have been available when the first amateur radio
experiments were performed, there would have only been one mailing list
- 'amateur-radio'. However, that would be a bit of a disaster now, with
all the wide interests.

I have several Sun workstation at home. There are mailing lists devoted
to the various operating systems that can be run on Sun hardware
(Solaris, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Linux, UltraLinux, VMS ..etc). There is one
mailing list called 'smp' (for symmetric mufti processing) that
discusses the development of the kernel (inner core) of OpenBSD for
multiple processor support. It is good this is in a separate list since:

a) How to add multi-processor support to a Sun is a highly complex
issue, that few people will be able to follow.
b) It is not of such a general interest.
c) There are only a few developers adding support for SMP.

I have several multi-processor Sun workstations, so want a
multi-processor kernel. But I do *not* subscribe to the 'smp' mailing
list, simply because it is too technical for me to follow. I am not in a
position to contribute to a multi-processor enabled kernel. Other users
of Suns who have machines that can only take one CPU, are even less
likely to be interested.

Parasitic oscillations has I feel reached the point where the
discusssions are so detailed, that the detailed arguments should be
taken to a separate mailing list. There is nothing stopping people
subscribing to both 'parasitic-osciallations' and 'amps'. There is
nothing stopping a limited amount of cross-posting to the two mailing
lists. But detailed discussions should be moved to the
'parasitic-osciallations' mailing list.

Dr. David Kirkby PhD,
Senior Research Fellow,
Department of Medical Physics,