[Amps] reading 8-10kv with a digital multimeter?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] reading 8-10kv with a digital multimeter?
From: wc6w at juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Fri Mar 14 14:12:29 2003
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:56:12 -0600 "Gary Smith"
<mandolinist@ameritech.net> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to check diode integrity of some microwave oven diodes. I'm
trying to build an
> two electrostatic type filters & need a + & - HV supply. I'm going to
get the HV via a
> neon transformer rated at 6.3kv @ 30ma. Ive obtained two hv diodes from

> microwaves put out to curb for pickup.

<snip>

> Thanks
>
> 73,
>
> Gary
> KA1J

Hi Gary,
  If you are going to run a (pair of) half wave rectifier(s) from that
transformer and you using any sort of capacitor on the output, you will
need diodes with a PIV close to 20 KV.   I doubt that microwave oven
diodes are so rated.

  If your oven diodes don't cooperate,  I have some house numbered parts
(about 1/4" square by 2" long) which are rated probably at least 30 KV
PIV (and perhaps 50mA) as they exhibit a 28V forward frop @ 10 mA.
Asking $5 ea.

73 & Good morning,
   Marv  WC6W