[Amps] Re: PS project part2

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: PS project part2
From: no9z at soltec.net (Lynn)
Date: Thu Apr 10 21:48:43 2003
Thanks for all the input on the ps problem so far.   For a little more
background info, the amp I am using  works fine with a smaller ps
(4kv 1 amp).   I built the new ps  inorder to obtain higer plate voltage
and less grid current.

   The amp is ok and the radio is ok.   I am not going to use 2 amps
at 5kv.   I am just looking for maximum of 3kw out (It should do that
anyway) and better efficiency.   This powersupply will provide
plenty of juice.   I have seen 1 amp continuous with no problem.

    I will restate again that I am using a transformer that was designed
for a choke input, but I am not using one.    The email  below is addressing
what I believe to be the root of the problem.    When I key the amp,it has
about 400 ma of idleing current (no drive).    If I send a cw dit or dah,
sometimes  but not always the  breaker will trip.  Sometimes you hear that
thud like when turning on a larger 12 volt power supply and the switch is
flipped at the peak of the ac cycle.   And worst case the breaker flips on
just a couple quick dits.    WIth the smaller power supply I can  drive the
amp to 1.2 kw.   With the  bigger power supply the breaker will trip when
the thud occurrs.   I have not exceeded 800 watts yet  with the new ps.

   So I am still looking for a solution of sorts.    Please read  Bill's
comments
below.  I am using stepstart which requires about 10 seconds (timer).

Re: [Amps] PS project