[Amps] SB-220 improved efficiency in CW?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 improved efficiency in CW?
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Wed Apr 16 21:30:02 2003

>[Encoded using ?binary?]
>
>I have been wondering about the possibilities of improving the
>efficiency of the SB220 in cw mode. Looking at the AL-82 I see
>they use two zeners in series and short one out to deal with the
>necessary different bias. The two 220's I have have had the
>zeners replaced with diode strings. Any other ideas how to
>accomplish this?

?  The ZSAC with a SB-220 is already ok in the CW mode since the anode
current decreases with lower anode V.  Decreasing ZSAC further would
result in increased input SWR.  Even if RF-out were increased 40%, no one
could see the difference since it takes a 400% increase in P to give a
one S-unit increase on the Rx end.