[Amps] 6M 8171

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 6M 8171
From: RMcGraw at Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Tue Apr 22 10:08:14 2003
One of the approaches I've used in the past to adjust or tune PA output
networks is the "reverse approach" use of a product like the MFJ Antenna
Analyzer.

Look at it this way.  The PA output networks' purpose is to transform the
anode value of  Z to something near 50 ohms.  In reality, the network really
doesn't care which way the signal flows.  Therefore, using the basic
calculation to determine the anode Z, or from various charts or otherwise,
based on DC voltage and current, with the tube and components in place but
without any power applied, temporarily place a 1/2 watt or so carbon
resistor, equal to the anode Z, from anode to ground.  Then using the
analyzer at the output of the amp and at the frequency desired, adjust the
components of the network for something near 50 ohms as shown on the
analyzer.

I've used this method to move my broadcast transmitter from the BC band to
160M, to other bands such as 75M and 40M.  Works swell every time and saves
lots of cut and try with power applied, not to mention stress on components
in an "untuned" condition.

73
Bob, K4TAX