[Amps] ferrite transformers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] ferrite transformers
From: RMcGraw at Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Fri May 30 08:54:37 2003
I too have had very good success with ferrite transformers.  A word of
caution from experience, power ratings are typical under ideal conditions.
Add some mis-match or reactance and it seems that the real numbers no long
apply.  To that end, I've thus found that using very high power rated
devices do work well.  Running legal limit power on the ham bands, the
smallest transformer I use is rated at 5KW, is a 1:1 device (unun) and is
about the size of a cigar box.  It is wound with #8 solid copper wire with
Teflon insulation.  I've built some low power 16:1 transformers to match the
output of the solid state exciter to the input of the BC transmitter
oscillator circuit for 160M and found that they work very well.  Here in
this application I needed some voltage gain.  Again very low powers
involved.

I believe that most bad experiences are where 4:1 baluns are used and thus
are typically under rated.  I've found that 1:1 designs seem to be more
successful in most applications.   Even with my commercial (ham band) tuner,
I do not use the internal balun even thought it is said to be rated at
legal limit.  A high power external 1:1 device works better, no SWR change
with use, no heating observed while with the internal balun, leave the TX in
tune for say 1 min or so and watch the SWR creep up.  A true sign of a
problem with something operating at more than a safe power level.

73
Bob, K4TAX