[Amps] reviving BTI LK-2000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] reviving BTI LK-2000
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Mon Jun 9 21:52:26 2003
>I have an old BTI LK-2000 that I'd like to revive, condition unknown.
>Could someone point me to a FAQ/etc. on the judicious procedure to bring it
>up slowly to start?

** --  Brad Thomas' design was basically ok for its day.  However, a few
circuit  improvements are in order.
 One problem with the LK-2000 is that the HV electrolytic filter caps run
on the ragged edge of V breakdown.  Unless the HV filter board has been
modified for 10, 450v units, I would replace the 8, 450v caps with 8.
500v Panasonic/Matsushita caps from Digikey.  I would also use Panasonic
100k-3w MOF  for the equalizer resistors to reduce heating of the filter
caps.
-  Another problem with the LK-2000 is that a 3-1000Z has c. 0.7 pF of
feedback C.  By comparison, a 3cx1500A7/8877 has 0.1pF of feedback C.  To
improve  VHF stability, a lower VHF-Q parasite suppressor is in order for
the 3-1000Z.  However, this mod will reduce 10m output by c. 2%.  If the
3-1000Z ever needs replacement, Eimac's new 3cx1200Z7 has only 0.07 pF of
feedback C, so it is less squirrelly.   //  The instability problem can
also toast the 10m, 15m, and occasionally the 20m bandswitch contacts.
[see
 http://www.vcnet.com/measures/BTI.bsw,JPG
 on my Web site].

gud luck, Scott.