[Amps] electronic switching

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] electronic switching
From: stevek at jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Fri Jun 20 08:21:48 2003
Hi Peter,

I didn't see the original question for some reason.

I wouldn't use PINs for a high-powered bandswitch on the hi-Z end of the
plate tank, and I doubt that many have done so successfully; although of
course in solid state transmitters it's quite common.

The 1N400x used as an RF switch similar to PIN probably should fail, since
it's still a rectifier, albeit one with a long trr.  Recovery losses can
cause the junction to rupture without necessarily generating any noticeable
heating; so can avalanche failure which ultimately renders the silicon
intrinsic.  The dopants can literally just boil away and then you have a
resistor instead of a semiconductor!

As you probably know, the PIN was "invented" by accident...but then, so was
the LED and many other devices.  I worked for Unitrode back in the
1980's...acquired by Microsemi Corporation in about 1991 or 92, and MSC has
sustained the PIN operations.  When I left MSC in 1993, luckily I retained
my PIN sample kit!

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill