[Amps] electronic switching

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] electronic switching
From: vic at rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Wed Jun 25 09:24:47 2003
Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

> All of this seems to add up to a very limited role for full QSK in
> modern-day amateur radio.

I maintain that there would be a much greater degree of QSK usage if it
were implemented properly in the transceiver.  Since it's usually a
tradeoff between QSK and comfort,  it's only used when absolutely
necessary (e.g., DX pileups, traffic handling).  But if it can be made
completely smooth and quiet, the natural tendency is to want to hear
what's going on while you are sending.

> However, since a significant minority of CW ops use QSK at least some of
> the time, and the amp always needs to switch very quickly at the start
> of a transmission (see below), the next generation of the Triode Board
> will support it.

I'm glad to hear it.  All of my amps, homebrew and commercially made
have had QSK (until I got the Alpha 86 I had to modify the commercial
ones).

Vic K2VCO