[Amps] Power supply design considerations

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Power supply design considerations
From: millenniumfalcon at cableone.net (Jim Isbell)
Date: Mon Jun 30 07:19:29 2003
I am still working on the 4-1000A amplifier design and have decided to
separate the PS from the RF chassis.  I still don't have my HV
transformer but I am thinking that it will be too big to get into my
presently designed cabinet of 14" x 14" x 12" dimensions along with the
4-1000A and all the plate tuning circuitry and filiment transformer.

I will be putting the power supply under the bench in a built in (wood)
cabinet that is already there.  The PS chassis/cabinet itself will be
made of aluminum but it will set on a shelf inside a closed door so I am
wondering about wheather I will have to wory about heat build up?  It
will be solid state diodes, capacitors and transformer. Do I need to put
in a fan in the side of the cabinet?

The second item I am asking for design help on is the power cable to the
RF chassis.  This will run about 6 feet from the under desk cabinet to
the top of the desk through a hole in the bench.  It will be near my
knees so I dont want it to arc (5 Kv) to any part of my body.....#8-)
What should I use for transmission cable?  What is a source for such cable?