[Amps] 2500 uF at 450V DC for $10.00 each

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 2500 uF at 450V DC for $10.00 each
From: conrad at g0ruz.net (Conrad Farlow)
Date: Wed Jul 2 07:57:25 2003
Yes but lots of joules are really bad when you are trying to interrupt a
power supply that is arcing over in the event of a flashover, and we all
know that this can, and does happen. The purpose of a series glitch resistor
in an HT supply is to limit the max fault current, the last thing you want
in this scenario is lots of stored energy when the HT primary trip is
activated, the result is usually a fried glitch resistor and/or a fried
tube, this is why reputable manufacturers quote recommended maximum
permitted energy levels allowed to flow during a plate flashover. Having
lots of capacitance is a bad idea, this is not an original idea by me of
course, it has been commented on many times on this reflector. In fact this
reflector is exactly where I learned of it.

Regards

Conrad