[Amps] Vac Variable shipping

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Vac Variable shipping
From: vk6apk at eon.net.au (Alek Petkovic)
Date: Thu Jul 17 08:13:38 2003
G'day from downunder.

I'm just looking at ebay where a guy is trying to flog a Jennings vacuum
variable capacitor. The paragraph below is pasted from his blurb.

"This Jennings capacitor will be shipped in the minimum capacitance
position ("C-min" position).The "C-min" position is the condition where the
plates inside the product are completely disengaged (as far apart as
possible), and the turning shaft turned fully clockwise. This positioning
of the plates provides balance in the bearing system, and will help to
prevent misalignment of the plates due to excessive shock caused by impact
during shipping."

Now for the question. Is this really the way it should be done?

I thought that the opposite was true. That is, it should be shipped with
the plates fully meshed, ie maximum capacitance as this lowers the strain
on the internal structure when it comes to bumps and jolts.

Any input or even the correct answer would be appreciated.

73, Alek
VK6APK

ps: Enjoy your summer. The Old Sol is heading South again and you'll soon
be as cold as I am now.

http://profiles.yahoo.com/vk6apk