Re: [Amps] PS Theory ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] PS Theory ?
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 08:30:33 +0100
rlm wrote:
***  Approximation formulae are given in:
http://www.somis.org/D.amplifiers.2.html
The math is multification and division.

Those really aren't approximation formulae. They are handy practical rules of thumb that often will work... but sometimes won't.

Please don't get me wrong on this. Anyone who is contemplating a transmitter power supply ought to read Rich's page on the subject - see above. By all means use Rich's rules of thumb to check the transformer and other components that you're thinking of using... and if they don't check out, then it's "STOP. WRONG WAY. GO BACK" and find other components.

But those rules of thumb still won't tell you exactly how those components will perform in practice. The 'PSU Designer' program *will*

The kinds of power supplies we're talking about here in AMPS are big, heavy and expensive. And when you build one, you are very literally building it around the transformer. If that transformer isn't suitable, you're almost certainly going to need a bigger one that will not fit into the same space. That means you'll have to scrap the whole darn project and start again. If the project is not only a power supply but a complete desktop amplifier, then you've wasted even more time, money and effort.

Having suffered exactly those disappointments in the past, it certainly "cured me of my gambling ways" with transformers! I now want to be absolutely sure it's going to work, before going out to the workshop. That's why I so strongly recommend 'PSU Designer'.