Re: [Amps] anyone else been contacted?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] anyone else been contacted?
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <davek@medphys.ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 12:00:50 +0100
Ron wrote:

> I have heard of such dealings where a "certified bank check" is given
> for payment and ends up worthless 3 months later.
>
> Make sure your payment arrives in a well known form .....cash, U.S.
> Postal Money Order, Western Union wire transfer...etc.

I had a very different scam attempted on me once, but one to watch out
for.

I wanted to buy a computer - a Sun Ultra 80 workstation. The US seller
started at $5000 (which was well overpriced), but came down to about
$2500 after some haggling. He took credit cards, so I thought I'd be
covered if he ran off with my money and failed to deliver the goods. So
I emailed him my credit card Barclaycard/Visa details. A few days later
he emails me to say the credit card had been declined, and would I wire
the money instead. I suggest he must have put the wrong number in, and
to try again, but that he said he was still unable to withdraw the
funds.

I contacted Barclaycard, since there was no reason for the money to be
declined. They confirmed no attempt had been made to withdraw $2500 on
the credit card, as even a declined attempt would have been shown on
their computers.

Clearly his plan was for me to think there was a problem with the credit
card, so I wired the money to his bank account, which I later found out
was an offshore account. Luckily I did not fool for that one.

A certain unfortunate person, Boyd Fullbright N6DMF/W6DSB, has accused
me of dishonesty over some diodes I intended to buy from him around 5
years ago.
http://lists.contesting.com/_amps/1998-August/006175.html
So before he pipes up about it, accusing me of trying to build free
amplifiers, I thought I'd mention it. Anyone can search the archives of
amps to find the full story.

Dr. David Kirkby PhD,
Senior Research Fellow,
Department of Medical Physics,