[Amps] Metcal soldering iron and microscopes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Metcal soldering iron and microscopes
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:53:47 -0600

Chris, GW4DGU, stated:

The trick is to get decent optical aids. Looking across at my bench, I have
a x10 binocular microscope (brought on eBay for about USD50), a large lens
magnifier, and a pair of 3dioptre throwaway reading glasses. I don't use
them all at once!

A good soldering tool is also important. I use a Metcal iron, having
abandoned the Weller TCP route nearly a decade ago. That seems to have been
the case in most of labs I visit. The price of the Metcal tools is
unfortunately significantly greater than that of the Wellers.

I followed the same path to be able to work with SMD at home. Found a binocular microscope at a hamfest, guy was sellling a bunch of old style scopes from Intel factory nearby. Mine had a loose eyepiece (whatever you call the little lens assembly that fits next to your eye) so I just put a small rubber band around it to stabilize it. it was <$100 US dollars. I also got a Metcal RF soldering iron for about $25 from a local junk dealer. Had to replace the cord and handle and tip. They are wonderfully designed units when they are working. Mine has an occasional intermittent. Inside of Metcal stations there is a 13.56 MHz crystal and a power amplifier to drive a small induction coil heating the tip. The cord is a special flexible silicone coaxial cable!

73
John
K5PRO