Re: [Amps] Ameritron Meter Lights

To: "Carlos Avellanet [kf4rrn]" <kf4rrn@cox.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron Meter Lights
From: "Floyd Sense" <sentek@sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:43:24 -0400
I believe that the meters on all of the smaller Ameritron amps are the same.
My comments are based on the meters in the AL-800H which are likely the same
as your amp.

The bulb is contained in a plastic plug-in piece that slides into the rear
of the meter.  The first time around, I found a bulb that was almost
identical at Radio Shack and installed that.  A few months later, the other
bulb went.  This time, I took the advice of someone else on the reflector
and installed a pair of bright white LEDs from Radio Shack.  These LEDs are
of the 5mm variety and with slight filing or sandpapering they will fit into
the same hole in the meter housing that the original bulb holder slid into.
You'll need a series resistor to limit the current through the LED - sorry
but can't recall exactly what I used or what the current max was.   These
LEDs are rather expensive, around $4.99 each, but they give a very nice
bright and even light in the Ameritron meters and they should last a very
long time.  Oh yes - I used a small dot of silicone caulk to hold the LED in
the opening.

K8AC