[Amps] Capacitor Recommendation Needed

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Capacitor Recommendation Needed
From: Dennis Ashworth <K7FL@ARRL.NET>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 16:27:16 -0700
I need to insert a 1000pf of capacitance in series with my 80M vertical to move the resonant frequency up to the phone band. I have been using a vacuum variable, but would like to use it in another project - and change to a fixed capacitor. The logical choice would be a fixed 1000 pf vacuum capacitor. Failing to locate a fixed vacuum cap, what low loss dielectric materials should I be considering given the frequency, voltage and current involved. The driving impedance is 40 ohms and I run the legal limit. Therefore, currents will be in the 6-8A range ... voltages probably less than 500 V.

Thoughts on dielectric materials and sources would be most appreciated. Although this is not AMP related, I suspect you folks know the answer(s).

Dennis, K7FL