Re: [Amps] K8CU High Voltage Breakdown Tester - A RecommendedModificatio

To: Dennis12Amplify@aol.com, AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] K8CU High Voltage Breakdown Tester - A RecommendedModification
From: rlm <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 07:40:12 -0700

On Tuesday, October 14, 2003, at 10:55 AM, Dennis12Amplify@aol.com wrote:

Joe, Skip, Rich, ET. al....,

Please 'critique' the following and see if I am wrong in any of my
statements.
> ... ... ...

PS. I also do not understand the need for the diode bridge across the
meter if there is always a DC voltage applied to the D. U. T. from the tester,
but I'm sure there is some reason for it that is probably way beyond my
ability to understand.

*** a FWB feeding a DC meter assures that either applied polarity will flow in the correct direction through the meter.

-------------------------------The Original Email-----------------------------

Hello Jeff, Rich, Skipp Et. al

I have had some experience in this....

After buying a few different russian tubes....(GU-43B, GS-35B, GU-84B,
GI-6B/7B).
I've made some tests:

Another GS-35B had 3kv as upper limit, but after cooking it, a 8 kv limit was

reached before a leakage 50 microamps occured!

One of the GU-43's had a 2200 volt limit, but after letting it cook for a
while,
it can 'take' 6 kv before leaking.

A copule of GI7Bs had about 1500 v, but after ritual, I think at end, I had
approx 3900 volts on both...

The gadget for these measurements was a K8CU High voltage breakdown tester.

http://www.realhamradio.com/High_Voltage_Breakdown_Tester.htm

-Clipped here again-----

Regards
/Joe