Re: [Amps] 1200 vs 1500 triodes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 1200 vs 1500 triodes
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:15:15 -0500
There is another aspect to this discussion which I think needs to be considered.

Most of my operating is during contests, and for that purpose I have a large antenna farm with multiple antennas on each band. The usual amount of effort is made to get the best possible match on each antenna. However, the feedline lengths are random and so the actual impedance in the shack varies somewhat when the antennas are operated off their zero reactance point.

During contests, many times the operator will switch antennas quickly to optimize the signal and make the QSO. When the load impedance changes, the operating point of the tube changes. One would hope the power output would remain nominal, but at the very least the tube should not go into an unsafe operating condition.

It has been my experience with the "modern" Eimac triodes (3CX800, 3CX1500) that these are rather sensitive to load impedance changes vs. the older tubes like 4-1000A, 3-1000Z (of which the 3CX1200A7 is supposedly an electrical equivalent). Let me give some examples.

Example #1: Some years ago my 10M setup consisted of a 6L long boom yagi of W1HDQ design, a pair of 4L W2PV yagis in a stack, and a nondescript 4L yagi fixed south. At the time I was using a Ten-Tec Titan (2 x 3CX800) for my 10M amp and we seemed to have problems when switching antennas so I ran an experiment. I went to a frequency in the 10M band where all three antennas showed good SWR (say < 1.2) and all were near their SWR minimum point. After tuneup on antenna #1 the amp put out 1500W with normal grid current, on antenna #2 output was 1000W with little grid current, and on antenna #3 the output was 500W and the grid meter was on the pin.

Example #2: I was getting ready for the ARRL Sweepstakes and wanted to use a homebrew 8877 on 40M. (The amp was originally built by K8DR, one of the well-known Columbus amp builders, although I was not the original owner.) Again, three antennas: a full size 3L yagi, a dipole N/S @ 80' and another dipole E/W @ 40'. Hard as I try, I could not find a single set of tune and load settings which would provide safe operation (defined as grid current within safe limits) into all three antennas while delivering legal limit power. OTOH, my trusty old Viewstar PT-2500A, running a pair of 3-500Zs with 3800V no-load, with a single set of tune settings, would deliver 1300-1500 to all three antennas with grid current never varying more than 20%.

Since these experiences, I've settled on using a single 3-1000Z or 4-1000A bottle in my homebrew amps. Besides the Viewstar, I also have an old Henry 2K-3 with 3-500Zs, and another K8DR amp using 3-500Zs with 4400V no-load. None of these amps squawk when the antennas are switched.

From my experiences it seems that the modern tubes with higher gains are more sensitive to impedance variation. When you consider how most of these tubes are used in commercial applications, it's no mystery why this is not an issue. The typical commercial amp is connected to a single antenna, tuned up on a single frequency and operated that way. It doesn't see impedance variations unless the antenna fails.

I'm not saying that the 3CX800 and 3CX1500 tubes are bad designs. The typical ham who has one antenna on a band will likely be completely happy because once tuned up on a band, most frequency excursions are relatively small and hence the amp operates somewhat like a commercial application. Also, I have 8877s here on 50 and 144 MHz and operation on those bands has been completely satisfactory with multiple antennas, but the nature of VHF/UHF being what it is, the antenna impedances tend to be held very close to nominal.

While I do have an Alpha 91b with 4CX800A tetrodes, I've not taken the time to explore their sensitivity to load impedance changes.

In the end, tube availability may be the most important issue. I've gotten 8877s from WA8WZG and highly recommend Tom's stuff. Some guys use bigger bottles like 3CX3000s which are likely to be around for a while. My experiences with the Chinese 3-500Zs has been questionable - a set of RF Parts house band tubes shorted out in my Henry 2K-3 (3300V no-load) after only 18 months, and this is in an amp which is only used on 80M. The previous Eimacs lasted 20 years...

Like they say, your mileage may vary.

73,

Dave/K8CC