Re: [Amps] Alpha 76CA

To: <dwright@copper.net>, "Amps Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 76CA
From: "Dan" <dhearn@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 07:11:18 -0800
Don you did not say what type of antenna/xmsn line you are using. It sounds
like it might be a coax fed dipole. A perfectly matched coax fed dipole will
not guarantee  an RF cold outer shield. RF going up the coax travels on the
inner surface of the shield and the center conductor with equal currents on
each. When the current reaches the dipole, the shield side current divides,
part of it going into one side of the dipole and some back down the shield
outer surface to gnd. A choke balun at the antenna end minimizes this. It
sounds like you might not have a balun at the antenna end or the coax comes
away from the antenna at other than a right angle and couples to the
antenna. 73, Dan, N5AR