[Amps] Tuning a 30L-1

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Tuning a 30L-1
From: "Dan Levin" <djl@andlev.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:14:09 -0800
I have borrowed a Collins 30L-1 amplifier from a friend for CW SS,
and have a question about tuning it up.

When I tune the amp up according to the instructions, by setting the Load so
that when I dip the Tune meter of the amp using the Tuning Capacitor the
Tune meter reads "0" - I get about 300 watts output at the recommended
600 ma of plate current key down CW.  Plate voltage is per spec.

If I tune the amp for maximum power output, I tune it with less Load than
the previous method (the manual's method) would suggest, and I get
about 700 watts of output at 600 ma of plate current.  Interestingly, when
I use this method, the Tuning capacitor ends up in the white range on the
dial - when I use the manual's method it doesn't always.  When I use
this method, the Tune meter reads less than zero.

There is no grid current meter on this amp - so I have no idea how much
grid current I am running in either scenario.

Which method is correct? - where correct is defined as:

1) Maximum power output
2) No damage to the amplifier
3) A clean transmitted signal

Thanks!