[Amps] 4CX800 Linear

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 4CX800 Linear
From: Glenn McNeil <vk4tzl@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:45:47 +1000
Hi Gang..

I'm after some advise...as are most on this reflector I suppose.

I'm building up the 4CX800 Linear featured on the Svetlana Website as Tech
Bulletin Number
42.

Part of the plate tuning requires a 70mm round disk to approach the earthy side
of the plate
line..which is an aluminium sandwhich seperated by a teflon sheet. This disk
approaches the
earthed side of the plate line, near the tube. The other end has an adjustable
tap to feed
the RF to a type N connector.

Constructing this cap relies on a good earth where the adjustable shaft passes
through the
RF Anode box to the outside world where it has a knob or such to allow tuning
the anode.This
is easier said then done..around hear, anyway.

Is there anything wrong with using a wide spaced variable cap mounted inside
the anode
compartment in the same relative postion, one side attached to the anode line
and the other
neatly earthed by the caps normal construction with spring loaded shaft etc. I
have a box
full of Polar brand ceramic body, silver plated variable caps that I have
ratted out of
various junked gear over the years, and this seems a much neater way of doing
things.

If it is OK..any idea of what capacity I'm looking at ?

Any info greatly appreciated, as I sit hear wondering which way to go.

73

Glenn
VK4TZL