[Amps] SB220 vote

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB220 vote
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:26:46 -0700
To add one more opinion, I also feel that the Heath SB220 is a classic, simple yet elegant design, which is timeless. While the green two tone cabinet reflects last century ergonomics, the circuit is quite workable. With the mods available to improve the input tuning Q (for solid state drivers), inrush limiting or step start on the HV transformer, the better bleeder resistors, better rectifiers, a standby switch, and getting rid of that open frame relay for antenna switching, it can do the exact same job as a modern amplifier, and maybe better.

It might be compared to Dynaco stereo amplifiers, as they were also classic with Davis Hafler's engineering, from transformers to the overall circuit topology. They, too, have be revived for 30 years with many modifications and improvements. People don't seem to toss them out (ditto for SB220) but just carry them forward with improvements and tweaks that make them even better.

My hat is off to the hams at former Heath company for such a piece.
John
K5PRO