[Amps] DC went to AC power transmission 112 years ago

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] DC went to AC power transmission 112 years ago
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:22:50 -0700
When the silver and gold mines near Telluride and Ourey, Colorado were producing in the 1890s, steam or water-driven dynamos provided DC to feed the mine machinery (water pumps, and compressors probably). Along the road to some of the mines southwest of Ourey, the foundations of the old DC plants can be found. This all changed with Mr. Tesla sold Mr. Nunn his alternator. The story of the Ames, Colorado hydro plant is here:

http://www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/milestones_photos/ames.html

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/ames.htm

Last time I drove by the thing was still running, with a 1912 Pelton water wheel (replaced the original) and a newer alternator. The armature of the original machine is supposed to be sitting rusting in the center of Telluride, but i have never found it.

Once Niagra got converted to AC (25 cycles of course) then the demise of DC power transmission was secured. Thomas Edison's companies lost the battle. Westinghouse became the dominate AC company.

Now, we are using DC again for extreme HV transmission. Wonder if old Edison is laughing in his grave.

Somewhere from the old AIEE pubs in our library, I found an original article about the Gold Mine AC power work that Tesla was doing in the first half of 1890s. I gotta look for that again, really interesting stuff. They discussed losses, the insulation problems with rain and snow, everything that is now obvious.

73
John
K5PRO