Re: [Amps] YC156 Tube Pros & Cons

To: "Jim's Personal Account" <jim.homer@email.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] YC156 Tube Pros & Cons
From: Norman Hockler <norsan@bright.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:53:58 -0500

Jim,

I have sold a lot of these tubes to hams and have not had any "bad" comments

HOWEVER,
This is not necessarily a tube for the beginner.
It likes a pv of > 5kv
The tube has a high pout (35pf) so care has to be taken if you want 10m or higher.
Components for the tank, etc are "heavy duty"
Its a big tube so the mechanical requirements will not lend itself to a "desk top" amp.

ON THE OTHER HAND

It has a high Mu so you can get a lot of power with < 100 watts of drive
No socket required
Reasonable filament requirement  ( 15v @ 15 a))
Tube cost is reasonable.

Good luck.