Re: [Amps] Re: Tubes in parallel

To: "Dave Haupt" <emailw8nf@yahoo.com>, " AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: Tubes in parallel
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 01:43:12 -0800

>In the early broadcast days, when broadcast power
>could only be achieved by running many tubes in
>parallel, it was common to have "reasonably" separated
>feed systems for the tubes.
>
>The power supply had to be stiff enough to feed all
>(sometimes 16) of the anodes in parallel.  An arc or
>other fault in one tube, therefore could suffer the
>entire current capability of the large power supply.
>This huge current surge not only could destroy the
>tube that arced, but if that tube's parasitic
>suppressor could not handle the entire power supply
>current, the suppressor would be vaporized as well.

**   A typical parasitic suppressor's inductor has 0.0005-ohms to
0.03-ohms of DC resistance.  The stock parasitic suppressors in a TL-922
will carry 50-amperes DC 24/7.  Vaporizing parasitic suppressors with DC
seems a bit unlikely.

>The separation method involved using a separate
>current-limiting resistor per tube, the far side of
>which got its own bypass capacitor, then feeding the
>anode choke for one tube.  Each tube had to have its
>own DC blocking capacitor, else all 16 feed networks
>ended up in DC parallel anyway.  The benefits all
>arose from considerations of DC and arc current, and
>there were articles written about how to do the
>multiple feed network without causing instability.  In
>other words, in the days when it was commonly done, it
>was known to have drawbacks.
>
>In current designs, there's a separate suppressor per
>tube already.  One could design the amp with only one
>suppressor, but I've not seen it done for a long time.

**  the 30L-1 used 1-suppressor per 2-tubes.  I have heard about squirrel
infestations therein, especially with current production 811As.  Seperate
suppressors reportedly helps.

>In a two-tube ham amp, it's hard to imagine that
>there's a benefit to be gained.  You're basically just
>adding another anode choke and bypass capacitor per
>tube.  But there is a potential drawback.  If the two
>anode chokes couple to each other, it is possible to
>create a tube-to-tube feedback mechanism,

**  been there, done that.  No exciter is needed.