[Amps] 220VOLT LINE...HAMS CAN BE DANGEROUS

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 220VOLT LINE...HAMS CAN BE DANGEROUS
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 07:51:22 EST
I have read with great amusement the misunderstanding by many as to the
Nuetral, Ground on a 220volt line.  Its been beaten to death, but it scares me
to a
point that many hams are "do it yourself electricians".  If you DO NOT
understand the Nuetral, Ground concept and you have been doing your own
electrical
work in your electrical panels, I want to bring up another issue.  Since I KNOW
that many hams add their own 220v lines for amplifiers or even 120v lines for
their shack, it tells me that they are working inside their electrical
panels.  In some cases the "do it yourself" electrician moves wires around on
breakers, or moves the location of a breaker in a panel to satisfy the work
THEY are
doing (for whatever reason).  QUESTION:  Does your breaker panel contain
several 120/120volt 3 wire shared nuetral circuits???  This is indicated when
there are RED wires connected to single pole breakers.  Have you ever moved a
breaker with a RED wire on it to another slot in your panel while working on
it??????  Did you move a black wire to another breaker???  Did you check to see
if
that black wire had an associated RED wire BEFORE you moved it onto another
breaker or in a different slot??  IF you have red wires on your breakers in
your
panel, YOU HAD BETTER MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT ON THE SAME PHASE AS THE
ASSOCIATED BLACK WIRE and vise versa!!  This is a common problem I run into ALL
the
time and the effects can be devistating if the conditions are just
right.....its a FIRE hazard!!  You have doubled up on the current carried on
the nuertal
wire which is not overcurrent protected and a fire can result.  GO BACK AND
CHECK YOUR WORK  IF YOU HAVE EVER DONE THIS!!!!!

73 Louie W1QJ