[Amps] 3-500z(G)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 3-500z(G)
From: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:26:10 -0600
It is my understanding that the 3-500Z and now the heavier anode 3-500ZG's need
to be run red to dull orange at times for the very reason you stated, so the
getter can work.  Perhaps it is not the color of the anode but the coating on
the cathode which can be depleted and the lighter sweep tubes if run that hot
use up their coating much more quickly than the transmitting tube which is
designed for high temperature service.  I remember taking weak, soft 6lq6's and
applying higher filament voltage for a short time with a tube tester to get
them to come back to life by "boiling some more emissive material to the
surface of the filament" sometimes, this was a very temporary fix.