[Amps] Flashover protection

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Flashover protection
From: "Conrad G0RUZ" <conrad@g0ruz.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:28:47 -0000
I have been making amps long enough to know about the series resistor in the
B+ and have always followed Eimac's recommendations about limiting the
energy to the tube in the event of a flashover.

It seems that Eimac have changed the 'rules' substantially in the re-write
of "care and feeding"

This is intended more as a project in power electronics for my degree, I get
the University to stump up the cash for the parts and make the PCB's etc. If
you have ever seen an HT crowbar demonstrated it is something to behold.
Drop some 32 swg wire across the HT and all that happens is a pffft and the
supply shuts down, the wire remains intact!

My HT supply is quite nice these days with big long glitch resistors, and an
SSR controlling the primary. Paul WD7S convinced this was the way to go
about 2 years ago and I am very happy with it so far.

73

Conrad G0RUZ